I just heard of this refrigerator no cook oatmeal and am seeing alot of talk about how delicious they are so I thought I would share. I am not much of an oatmeal eater but these look really good AND healthy. It is packed with protein- & calcium and is rich in fiber. Also the Chia seeds are rich in Omega 3, protein, calcium, potassium, Vitamns in B, and anti-oxidants.
These seem to be really easy to make! HEY!! My kids may even be able to experiment with these themselves and since they can be made in advance they will be perfect during the school year – just grab and go in the morning – definitely a great start for the day!
The basic recipe is below and I have also listed some variations I came across but you can also experiment with some of you own as well 🙂
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk (almond, rice, soy, coconut…)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
Combine the oats, Greek yogurt, milk, and chia seeds in a bowl or jar, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning add your favorite toppings like dried coconut, granola, nuts, ground flax seed, honey, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, or fresh/dried fruit – Experiment with it to find your favorite variations 🙂
- Harmonious: Add in 1/4 cup dice kiwi
- Romantic : Stir in 1/4 cup sliced grapes.
- Pomegranate Power: Stir in 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds.
- Almond Power: Stir in 1/4 cup toasted almonds.
- Blackberry Power: Stir in 1/4 cup blackberries
- Stawberry Banana: Add in 2 to 2 ½ tablespoons strawberry jam &1 small banana, mashed
- Mango Almond: Add in 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, 1 teaspoon honey or other sweetener (optional) & 1/4 cup diced mango
- Banana Nut: Add in 1 Tbs chopped walnuts or sliced almonds, 1/4 c- 1/3 c diced fresh banana, 1 tsp honey or sweetener (optional)
- Blueberry Maple: Add in 2 teaspoons maple syrup (to taste) & 1/4 cup blueberries
- Apple Cinnamon Pecan: Add in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon honey or sweetener (optional), & 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1/4 c. finely diced apples, 3 pecans, chopped
- Banana Peanut Butter: Add in 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 teaspoon hone or sweetener (optional), & 1/4 cup diced ripe banana
- Raspberry Vanilla: Add in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon raspberry jam, preserves, or spread, & 1/4 to 1/3 cup raspberries (each cut in half)
- Mandarin Orange: Add in 1 teaspoon honey or sweetener (optional), 1 tablespoon orange marmalade, & ¼ cup drained canned mandarin oranges
- Cherry Chocolate: Add in 1 teaspoon honey or sweetener (optional), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon finely chopped dark chocolate, & ¼ cup chopped cherries (fresh or frozen)
- Mocha: Add in 2 teaspoons honey or sweetener (optional), 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, & ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- Harvest Peach: Add in 1/4-1/3 cup diced peaches, 1 tsp Honey or sweetener, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pineapple Coconut: Add in 1/3 cup lite coconut milk (in place of other milk) or shredded coconut, 1 teaspoon honey or sweetener (optional), 1/4 cup chopped pineapple (fresh, frozen, or drained canned)
- Peach Melba: Add in ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, 1-2 tablespoons raspberry jam, & ¼ cup chopped peaches
- Cranberry Pecan: Add in pinch of ground cloves, 1 teaspoon honey or sweetener (optional), 2 tablespoons whole cranberry sauce (or jellied), 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
For those with a sweet tooth, here are some yummy variations for you to try!
- German Chocolate Cake: Stir in 1 tablespoon chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut.
- Bananas Foster: Stir in 1/2 sliced banana and 1 tablespoon chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter Cup: Stir in 1 tablespoon each chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.
- S’mores: Stir in 1 tablespoon chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons miniature marshmallows.